Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Remembering John Tucker

John Tucker Must Die is all about girls banding together to take their sweet revenge on a serial cheater. Yummy Jesse Metcalfe of the Desperate Housewives fame plays the ultra-cool, demi-god, big-man-on-campus, John Tucker. The movie was not really all that great, but quite hilarious at various points. For girls who's had their share of dates with the John Tuckers of this world, this movie was all about picking up the pieces of the heart he's broken and getting wildly even. It makes you lean back on your seat, wishing you had the guts to do those things to him.

I dated a John Tucker once back in college. Let's make like Maalala Mo Kaya, give him an alias and call him... John.

John wasn't dangerously handsome nor had he a body of a model. More of nice boy, pretty boy, cute. Girls would almost swoon when he walks by the corridors ("You mean he's actually on this side of the building. On this floor?!"), would even write vandalisms about him in the ladies bathroom ("John, ang gwapo mo! Beep me"). There were talks that he had a girlfriend in a different university and but seemed to be dating another girl from Archi. He was a player, but no one really dared to prove it. Suffice it to say that he was a heartthrob, but didn't look like a heartbreaker. And there's nothing like a boy with a cheater reputation treating you like you are the only girl in his world.

Against my better judgment, I silenced those rumors and eventually allowed myself to fall for him. Back then I used to think I was super special when John would write me poems, give me cards, send me flowers, wait for me, pick me up & carry my books ("He could've picked any girl, but he picked me! Me!"). What a sweet, pretty couple you make, people would say. In college, it was all about that, wasn't it? Trophy boyfriend alert!

We lasted for a year and a half. By college standards and by his standards, that was a record. Whoo-pee-doo. The reason for our break up? He was two-timing me. Big surprise.

--------
cheers! watching a brain-less movie after a long day at work
it's ok... to be mean once in a while
--------

photos taken from John Tucker's myspace.

2 comments:

sunkissed said...

Guys are born as John Tuckers. Hasty generalization, i know. But honestly, it is really too much to ask from a guy to be loyal and monogamous. If you really want to know how humans should be acting, look at nature. Plain and simple. The alpha males didn't need to be monogamous in the animal kingdom, right??

christine said...

uuuy... someone's bitter :o) seriously though, i think there are more nice & loyal guys out there than those who are cheaters. but i must admit, those who are monogamous are loyal by choice. i'd have to agree with you that by nature, men just aren't :o)