Sunday, March 29, 2009

Smiling Faces on a Tuesday Morning

As a side project, the team visited a local school and spent quite a fun Tuesday morning with the students. Gloria talked about seeds and vegetables with Andrea dancing like a sweet tomato ;-) Sally and Colleen shared some letters coming from a school in the US and encouraged everyone to write back to their American "pen pals". Hiroya and Chris did a wonderful job teaching a class paper origami. With the use of the Electronic Kit, Nitish and I showed 4 classes how a simple circuit board works. Finally, Rodrigo taught them how to play marbles ;-)


The children were all so engaging and very much excited about taking photos and posing for the camera.


The highlight of our visit for me though was when I was talking to a group of 7th grade girls. I jokingly told them that I will give a prize to the person who can guess which country I am from. This girl with the prettiest eyes smiled and nonchalantly said, “Oh you're from the Philippines”. I was shocked because she was the first person in the whole of Tanzania who was able to guess it correctly (I get Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, etc). She told me she watches a lot of soap operas on TV and some of them were from the Philippines. Hurray for cable TV!


Check out some more photos here.


No comments: