Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hello, Tanzania!

After nearly 24 hours of travel, I am finally in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania! My itinerary: Manila to Bangkok (Thailand), Bangkok to Nairobi (Kenya), Nairobi to Kilimanjaro ( Tanzania). It was tiring and quite boring for sure, with nearly 4 hours lay-over in both stops, and my body aching to lie down and rest. For the record, it was the second day of my period and 11 hours of travel flying coach was indeed not pleasant.

It was a good thing that I spent 3 hours of my Nairobi lay over with a teammate, Sally from the UK. I was, in fact, sitting close to her for a full hour before she finally came over and introduced herself! We then grabbed a bite to eat -- what could've been my lunch back in Manila & her midnight snack in London, became breakfast in Nairobi. Hated the cheese pizza I ordered, but I absolutely loved the coffee!

We finally boarded the plane to Kilimanjaro at half past 10. On the way, I saw Mt. Kilimanjaro (the highest peak in Africa) and it was absolutely majestic! It completely dwarfed everything visible below with its snow-capped peak presenting itself between thick, white clouds -- a great contrast to the brown and very dry area below. There were tufts of trees every hundred meter or so -- in the vastness of the area, from 17K feet in the air, they actually looked like green dust bunnies the giant housekeeper forgot to sweep from under the bed, haha.

I have met Rodrigo from Sao Paulo, Brazil and Chris from Chicago, USA. Had a quite interesting pasta for lunch with Coke (no water for me, thank you) then retreated to my room to catch up on work. A few minutes ago, I finally met Hiroya from Tokyo, Japan and Nitish from Bangalore, India.

We're staying at KIA Lodge for the night and driving to Arusha tomorrow morning.

Pictures to be posted tom!

No comments: