Monday, August 21, 2006

To Prada or not to Prada

Spent my afternoon at the mall with my sister, Paula. Had some good old-fashion bonding over traffic, shopping, popcorn and the chick-flick of the moment, The Devil Wears Prada.


I'm sure everyone has had their share of hellish experiences with their bosses. Some days yours will be kind, supportive & reasonable. Other times, you would feel like this person you work for is the spawn of less angelic origins.

When I found out that Meryl Streep will be playing the role of Miranda Priestly, I was giddy with excitement to watch the film. Though I wasn't really imagining her when I was reading the book, I knew she would be the perfect actress to play the role of such a vicious, cold-hearted biach. And an amazing biach, she was! The scrutinizing but stoic look, the scarce nods of approval, the devil-may-care manner in which she casually throws, "That's all," to dismiss you and signal the end of a conversation (regardless of your concerns, opinions and/or confusion)... all these Meryl Streep executes brilliantly, with perfectly manicured tips and not a single strand of hair out of place.

Of course, the couture was just as amazing!
Oh, I would watch it again... if only to get a longer glimpse of the gorgeous outfits, the flawless make-up and absolutely to-die-for SHOES! (Excuse me while I casually ask the Imelda in me to make itself scarce). My sister and I almost drooled at the sight of such pretty designer clothes.

Hilariously, when Nigel, Runway's Fashion Editor, said that size 6 is the new 14, I almost choked on the Holy Kettle Corn I was happily munching at
the time. Apparently, in the world of glam New York fashion, 6 is considered hideously fat. Ooooh... the peril!

Eventually, Andy (Anne Hathaway) joins the game and swaps her Northwestern getup with sophisticated, polished and very now, designer clothes. She ends up wearing stilettos that also go clackity-clack on the marbled lobby floor.

Being naturally smart and a whole lot stylish, Andy gains Miranda's respect, but... loses her love and her friends in the process. What is a girl to do??

The movie ends with Andy realizing that she had almost sold her soul to the Prada-wearing-Runway-Goddess, Miranda Priestly. And it happily concludes with Andy tossing her Blackberry into a public fountain in Par
is and simply walking away from it all.

--------
Andy Sachs, The Devil Wears Prada: Thousands of people would KILL for your job... soon you may find yourself begging them to do just that.

----------

cheers!
ticks on my to-do list

it's ok...
if you're between sizes 4 and 6 and that you sometimes find yourself putting an M back to the rack because you're buying an L.
----------

So... to Prada or not to Prada? Maybe... but to Jimmy Choo? ... to Manolo Blahnik? If I can afford it or someone gives these to me for free? Oh yes, definitely, YES!

photos courtesy of Foxmovies and jimmychoo.com

1 comment:

sunkissed said...

darn it! movies are so expensive here. was hoping i could see that flick before leaving.grrrr. oh well. will try to catch it in dvd or something.